October 2, 2012

Culinary Rant

Sometimes, I feel as though I spend way too much time thinking about what it is that I want to do for a living and not enough time making it happen.

My mind is constantly changing dreams & aspirations and I always feel like I'm at a complete loss for what I actually really want to be. What will make me happier than anything? What is that thing that I need?

I read a nice new blog today called Making Things Happen. Have you heard of it?

It basically allowed me to look at my life and really think "what are the things that make me happiest in this whole world?"

The only thing I could really think of was cooking.

Now I don't know if this is just another one of my mind changes. I mean a year ago I thought the only thing that would make me happiest was working with troubled kids. But now... I'm not so sure. I love kids don't get me wrong... but do I really want to turn off all my emotion at the risk of being bullied by children who don't know any better for the rest of my life? I'm the most sensitive person I know and I just don't know if I can do it.

So I really sat down and thought when am I at my most happiest? When do I feel like the whole world is easy and fun? And cooking was the activity that just kept coming back and back and back.

Cooking is by far my favorite thing to do. I love experimenting with new ingredients and recipes and I barely ever make anything that's pre-packaged or frozen besides on the very rare occasion (I love me some Sidekicks!).  And the best part about cooking is that there is almost something new to learn and discover!

I'm still an intermediate cook and sometimes my recipes are complete flops but I feel like it's all a part of the package.

I sometimes think about my future and picture myself working for a small local food service company where the menu can constantly change. Whether it's a catering business (which was an idea I've thought of before) or a small bistro. All I know, is I'd never want to cook for a chain... I'd want to be able to be creative and use real, whole ingredients that make people forget who they are!!!

Sigh... I'm drifting off into my dream land. But who says it has to be a dream?

"Be a fearless cook & never apologize" -Julia Child

No comments: