April 15, 2011

Soul Surfer: Inspiration

Everybody needs to drop what they are doing this very minute and go see this movie!

Never in my life have I seen a movie that has uplifted me the way this one did. I was crying throughout the whole thing, both happy and sad tears.

It was incredibly inspiring the way this girl lost her arm when she was on the road to being a professional surfer but then didn't give up on her dreams! She continued on her path of surfing and was still awesome at it after lots of practise.

Not to mention, at one point in the movie they go to Thailand to help with the Tsunami relief. Can I just say, that as bad as it is, I've been incredibly ignorant with world issues until this movie? Everytime a natural disaster happens, I think it's terrible, but I don't think too much more on it. But this movie really opened up my eyes to that and now I just feel awful.

I was still crying to John 2 hours after the movie ended (he must think I'm such a disaster) but I couldn't help it... I was just so sad. I still feel sad.

And it just made me realize ever more what I want to do with my life... I just want to help people.

I feel like if I stay in this industry, I'm not making a difference. And I just want to make a difference for people who have had things happen to them out of their control... and well...just make them feel better.

That's what I need. I know this.

So where am I going to start?

Well, considering I can't go to school for it yet, I'm going to volunteer. Big Brothers Big Sisters to start.

I wanted to do Children's Aid Society, but you have to commit for one year and I don't know if I can do that right now. Where as Big Brothers Big Sisters you commit to UP to one year.

I'm really excited to get started with that because I think it will definitely help lift me up into the right direction.

Right now, I feel like I'm kind of in this rut and I think this is a good way to get out of it. It'll help me feel better and I'll be helping out someone in need and the community.

No comments: