July 26, 2011

Book Review: The Help


Can I just start off by saying how inspirational and amazing this book is?
I think that in High School sometime, teenagers should HAVE to read this book.
It should be a requirement, that's how educational it is.
I learned so much from it that I didn't know before.

Let me just some up the plot for you.

This book is set in the early 1960's when Black People and White People just DID NOT get along.
In this novel, Black Women are maid's to rich White households. They sometimes cook, they always clean, they take care of the White Women's kids, and they can't share the same damn bathroom because White's are afraid they will catch diseases.

One young white women, fresh out of Journalism school decides to write a book about the point of view's of the black maids. She interviews them and then, obviously, puts those interviews into a book to get published which, naturally, causes an uproar among the White Households.

I think what surprised me the most in this book is how eye opening it is.
I mean, this wasn't that long ago. My parents were born in the 60's. My grandparents were adults in the 60's.
This was NOT long ago at all.

And look how much has changed?
It's interesting to know that we are more equals now than ever before.
Of course, racism still exists but seeing how much has changed in such a short time span, maybe that will change soon enough as well.
Hopefully, one day soon, the only difference between us really will just be skin colour.

Read this book. It's so important.
It's important for learning. It's a tearjerker. It's laugh out loud funny. It's heartbreaking. It's inspiring. It's...important.

And it really does change the way you think about many things.

No comments: