May 21, 2011

Book Review: Something Borrowed (Spoilers)


Everytime I ask for a good book recommendation, somehow, this book always came up.
So when I found out that they were making it into a movie, I decided that I needed to read it.
I have a thing where if I'm interested in a movie (like, really interested) and I know it's based off a book, I have to read the book first.

Anyway, let's get to the point.

I loved this book and I really cared about each and every character.
I think it makes a huge difference in a book when the characters are so well developed, that it matters to you what happens to them and you feel like you're somehow involved in their lives. Like they are your friends and you are the "other character".

As much as this book was honest and funny and even a little sad, I couldn't help but get angry at some points of the book.

I don't believe in "cheating" and that's what this entire book was about. It was about an affair. And not just a random affair. It was a book about betraying your best friend when you're her maid of honor. And you're having sexual relations with her fiancee, Dex. It really is an awful thing when you think about it. Throughout the book, the main character, Rachel, is trying to justify her being "the other woman" because Darcy (the bride to be) can be selfish and inconsiderate. But no one deserves that sort of treatment.

However, we found out later that she cheated on Dex with Dex's best friend and is having his baby. So really, who's the bad guy? Rachel. That's who I think.

Personally, I didn't think that the book was going to end the way it did. Dex and Rachel end up together and I don't know how I felt about that. Near the end, Dex tells her that he can't leave Darcy. That just won't work for him. He can't hurt her that way. So Rachel runs off to England for a trip to visit her friend. But then she comes back and Dex says he called off the wedding and then of course, Dex and Rachel end up together.

I thought that maybe he WOULDN'T call off the wedding like was originally planned, and then he found out that Darcy cheated on him and then tried to go running back to Rachel only to have her reject him and then quit her job and run off to England.

I sort of wish that would've happened. It would've convinced me that Rachel wasn't such a terrible friend and Dex wasn't a jackass.

Anyway, read this book. I really do recommend besides all my ranting. It's cute and you love the characters.

Kbye!

No comments: